Saturday, May 19, 2012

Monsanto's GMO Corn Causes Weight Gain?!

"Monsanto’s GMO Corn Causing Weight Gain, Disrupting Organs"

Are genetically modified foods making you sick and fat? Monsanto’s genetically modified creations have been pegged for causing a plethora of environmental and human harm, but are they also contributing to one of the country’s fastest growing health problems? A study published in the International Journal of Biological Sciences shows that GM food is indeed contributing to the obesity epidemic.


While being one of the first to report on a comparative analysis of blood and organ system data of rats fed GM corn, the study effectively ends the debate as to whether GMO foods are safe regarding health. The study found that GM corn fed to mice led to an increase in overall body weight of about 3.7 percent, while also increasing the weight of the liver by up to 11 percent.




“Crude and relative liver weights are also affected at the end of the maximal (33%) GM maize feeding level as well as that of the heart which for corresponding parameters to a comparable extent, showed up to an 11% weight increase…Additional statistically significant differences include … higher … overall body (3.7%) weight.”


But this 2009 study sheds much more light on GMO dangers than mere weight increase.


“There is a world-wide debate concerning the safety and regulatory approval process of genetically modified (GM) crops and foods. In order to scientifically address this issue, it is necessary to have access to toxicological tests, preferably on mammals, performed over the longest time-scales involving detailed blood and organ system analyses.”the introduction states. “For the first time in the world, we’ve proven that GMO are neither sufficiently healthy nor proper to be commercialized…Each time, for all three GMOs, the kidneys and liver, which are the main organs that react to a chemical food poisoning, had problems,” indicated Gilles-Eric Séralini, an expert member of the Commission for Biotechnology Reevaluation.


Read the rest of the article, this is scary stuff.

GMOS MAKING AMERICANS FAT PART 2



See Part ONE Here: GMOS MAKING AMERICANS FAT?


I'm at the point where I feel safer buying food from Oriental grocery stores, health food stores and even made in Mexico [well for now until they push as many GMOs there too] which I am making a habit. I have had to remove most processed food to even return my digestion to a near normal state.

I need more time to study this issue.....the fact that they change the GENES themselves is a major problem.

Study: Genetically Modified Corn Increases Body Weight in Rats


Many crops in the U.S. are now genetically modified. For example, 93 percent of soybeans grown in the US are genetically engineered, as are:
86% of all corn
93% of canola
93% of cottonseed oil
Between 2008 and 2009, 95% of all sugarbeets planted were genetically engineered to be able to tolerate high doses of the pesticide Roundup

Some allege that Roundup kills healthy gut bacteria, and that genetically modified crops cause other health problems.

Many people claim that genetically modified (GM) foods increase obesity:


But is there any evidence for that claim?

One study implies that there might be.


Scientists tested GM corn at Monsanto laboratories, and found that the GMs increase body weight in rats. Specifically, a paper published in the International Journal of Biological Sciences reported in 2009:


We present for the first time a comparative analysis of blood and organ system data from trials with rats fed three main commercialized genetically modified (GM) maize (NK 603, MON 810, MON 863), which are present in food and feed in the world.

***

The three animal feeding studies were conducted in two different laboratories and at two different dates; at Monsanto (Missouri, USA) for NK 603 and MON 810 (June 7, 2000) and at Covance Laboratories Inc. (Virginia, USA) for MON 863 (March 14, 2001) on behalf of Monsanto.

***

Crude and relative liver weights are also affected at the end of the maximal (33%) GM maize feeding level as well as that of the heart which for corresponding parameters to a comparable extent, showed up to an 11% weight increase.

***

Additional statistically significant differences include … higher … overall body (3.7%) weight …

***

Several parameters indicate increases in circulating glucose and triglyceride levels, with liver function parameters disrupted together with a slight increase in total body weight. This physiological state is indicative of a pre-diabetic profile.

***

Our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal [i.e. kidney and liver] toxicity.

***

This can be due to the new pesticides (herbicide or insecticide) present specifically in each type of GM maize, although unintended metabolic effects due to the mutagenic properties of the GM transformation process cannot be excluded. All three GM maize varieties contain a distinctly different pesticide residue associated with their particular GM event (glyphosate and AMPA in NK 603, modified Cry1Ab in MON 810, modified Cry3Bb1 in MON 863). These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown.



5 comments:

  1. I'm at the point where I feel safer just not buying this stuff all together! LOL, kidding. I still buy corn torillas for tacos or enchiladas and sometimes corn chips but I don't seek out non GMO or organic most of the time since it's rare we eat this stuff. But if anyone eats corn and other GMO crops regularly I would definitely say it's worth it to seek out a trusted non GMO source.
    And if you think this is scary you should check out Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. Wheat is not GMO but it's so altered from what it originally was that it might as well be and also is uniquely capable of causing weight gain compared to it's non altered counterpart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too. I know I am ending up with some GMO though. I can't afford to strip it all clean of that though I try. I am facing facts that if I eat anything processed I feel ill, even low fat, turkey sausages gave me a bowel attack yesterday, I believe allergic reactions in bowels, and these had no MSG, I checked. I think wheat has been changed so so badly, and people are getting celiac from GMO, and that is why it has skyrocketed. I can tell the difference from when I eat expensive bread that is non-GMO sources, like Ezekiel and the cheaper stuff. They are destroying our food, they really are and doing so fast. I have felt better, going to a health food store 12 miles away for food products. It does cost money but I am notice a good first two weeks of every month when I have better and less GMOed food, where I feel better, and last two weeks where the food insecurity is higher. I agree with you totally about the wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am allergic to wheat and if I even look at corn I gain weight..Even in the health food stores and co-ops they sell so much processed food with crap in it. I swear they are deliberately trying to kill us. I know I embarrass my husband cause I say stuff like that aloud in the store.I'm part Italian. We just can't keep our mouths shut!Or maybe it's the Irish part of me, we have to fight everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With wheat I am okay if it is not GMO crap. I have not been able to eat Wheat-thins or certain brands of wheat or corn cereal for years. It is hard to avoid the processed crap. Seriously foreign markets is the route I took out. Aldis even has some foreign foods that are far superior. I actually try to find foods in ethnic markets that are not sold to Americans. Makes you wonder what they have planned for us. I know some consider me a "conspiracy theorist", I believe they desire population reduction. GMO food tastes bad too.

      Delete
    2. With wheat I am okay if it is not GMO crap. I have not been able to eat Wheat-thins or certain brands of wheat or corn cereal for years. It is hard to avoid the processed crap. Seriously foreign markets is the route I took out. Aldis even has some foreign foods that are far superior. I actually try to find foods in ethnic markets that are not sold to Americans. Makes you wonder what they have planned for us. I know some consider me a "conspiracy theorist", I believe they desire population reduction. GMO food tastes bad too.

      Delete